The 7 Best Four-Person Tents for Camping with Your Friends 2022
Camping with friends (or family. or your dog) is the only thing that can compare to camping. If you and your friends get along well enough, why not invest in a large camping tent rather than smaller shelters for each individual? Spend less money and less time hauling all of your extra camping gear on the trail, and you’ll save time and energy in the process. We’ve done all of the legwork for you and compiled a list of the finest four-person tents for hiking, camping, and vehicle camping. That means it’s time to start thinking about making those campground reservations.
REI Co-Op Base Camp 4 Tent
It’s possible to go on extended four-person camping trips with the family with the Base Camp 4 four-person camping tent from REI Co-Op. It is built using a geodesic dome structure that was inspired by mountaineering and is strong enough to withstand all but the most extreme weather conditions. We particularly appreciate the twin, wide-mouth doors, which allow each camper to make a quick leave without awakening or walking on their tentmates, which is quite convenient. When the weather becomes bad, a rainfly with complete covering guarantees that everyone stays dry and comfortable.
Coleman Cabin Instant Tent
Coleman is hard to beat when it comes to low-cost camping equipment. Whatever is available in the company’s inventory is precisely middle of the road. True to its name, the Coleman Cabin Instant Tent is a simple, no-frills tent that is suited for even the most laid-back campers (which is a good thing). The concept is dead simple, and it takes less than a minute to set up. Inverted seams, welded corners, and an integrated rainfly all contribute to the additional wet-weather protection provided by this poncho.
Eureka Kohana 4 Person Tent
For more than a century, Eureka has been manufacturing tents. It’s reasonable to claim that it has a good understanding of how to construct dependable camping tents. A square footprint, steep walls, twin vestibules, and generous storage pockets ensure that the Kohana 4 Person Tent has enough space for you, three friends, and all of your belongings. An open-mesh canopy provides plenty of ventilation and stargazing opportunities, and the included rainfly promises to keep you dry when the weather turns sour.
ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent
We are so impressed with ALPS Mountaineering’s Lynx range of tents that we have listed the Lynx 1-Person as one of our top solowaterproof tents for 2022 (see our full review here). In addition to providing 64 square feet of floor area, the Lynx 4-Person Tent also has a slew of useful features such as various storage pockets, two vestibules, and a gear loft. That implies there is more than enough room for the entire team. The fact that it weighs less than eight pounds and has ample living space makes it one of the most suitable options on our list for four-person camping excursions, according to our research.
Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 Mountaineering Tent
In the event when money isn’t an issue and only the best will do for you and your family, Mountain Hardwear’s Trango 4 Tent will not disappoint. This high-quality four-person shelter has become standard equipment for mountaineering excursions to the world’s most remote and unique outdoor environments. There are several key characteristics, including D-shaped front and rear doors that can be tucked away quickly, a bathtub-style floor that provides all-weather protection, and welded loops to hold the fly in place.
With a price tag of more than $900, it is the most expensive (and most ornate) tent on this list. It should be your go-to shelter, though, if you want to truly prepare for four-person camping anywhere, in any weather, at any time of year.
Napier Backroadz SUV Tent
Napier’s Backroadz SUV tent elevates the concept of “auto camping” to an all new level. Rather of providing a completely separate shelter from your car, this tent is designed to be attached directly to the rear of your SUV. With the hatch open, campers may utilize the back of their vehicle for sleeping and the linked tent as a separate living area or an additional sleeping space, depending on their needs. Although it is compact, the 100-square-foot floor plan provides more than enough space to accommodate a family of five.
Roofnest Condor XL Rooftop Tent
The arooftop tent is one of the most rugged shelter options available, especially for overlanders and other adventurers. The Roofnest Condor XL, on the other hand, has room for four persons, which is unusual for most models. With its large layout measuring 93 inches long by 74 inches wide, your entire family can sleep on the roof of your vehicle when it’s fully opened up. In addition to being waterproof, it pitches more quickly than virtually any other regular camping tent and is simple to install on most cars.
However, for real campers who spend their weekends in the outdoors on a regular basis, things don’t get much better.
- In 2022, you’ll need the best outdoor gear for your adventures. The best affordable Ryobi tool deals for February 2022 are listed below. The best bargains on affordable tents for February 2022
- Skiing Lessons for Beginners Can Be Learned at These 6 Best Ski Resorts for Beginners These are the 7 best hand warmers to keep your fingers toasty during the winter.
The Ultimate Guide to Buying the Best 4 Person Tent
Water-resistant camping tents are available from all of the leading camping tent manufacturers on the market. However, while purchasing a tent, it is important to pay close attention to the waterproof ratings. There are a variety of ratings available, ranging from 800mm (millimeters) to 10,000mm. This indicates that the tent’s fabric can resist a total of that many millimeters of water before becoming saturated. However, just because a tent’s waterproof rating is on the lower end of the 10,000mm range does not imply that it is a poor tent or that it will not keep you dry.
- In addition, the greater the waterproof rating, the heavier and more stiff the tent is, which may not be what you are looking for if you are primarily concerned with portability.
- When it comes to water-resistant family camping tents, the floor and walls are frequently rated differently in terms of water resistance.
- You want a tent floor that can endure abrasions, therefore a higher waterproof rating is preferred.
- Consider the following scenario: you had scheduled a camping vacation, but the weather prediction indicated rain closer to the time of your trip.
- There are many individuals who will not go camping if there is even the slightest risk of rain, and if you are one of those people, I would not be too concerned about the waterproofing of your tent.
If you intend to camp in the rain, we recommend that you seek for a tent with a waterproof rating of 1000mm or above.
Best 4 Person Camping Tents (5 Low Budget Options)
If you’re in a rush and just want to find out what the best 4 person camping tent is, we recommend the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent, which is a 4-person tent with a breathable mesh interior. The camping season is here! As much fun as camping may be, it can also be one of the most stressful times of the year, especially if you are using the incorrect size tent. When it comes to lugging and setting up a tent, a large one might be difficult. A tent that is too tiny also has its own set of challenges!
- A four-person tent is the perfect size for the majority of campers.
- However, there are other low-cost alternatives that may be accommodated by most budgets.
- It is possible that this is the case at times.
- The main drawback is that the most of them are not household names in the tent industry.
- Do you still not believe us?
- Before we get to them, though, let’s have a look at some of the most crucial elements to consider while purchasing a 4 man tent.
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks…
Preview Pick of the Day ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent in Clay/Rust, by ALPS Mountaineering Products Geertop Portable 4 Person 4 Seasons Backpacking Tent Double Layer Waterproof Larger Family Camping Tent Lightweight for Camp Outdoor Sports Hiking Travel Beach – Easy to Set Up Geertop Portable 4 Person 4 Seasons Backpacking Tent Double Layer Waterproof Larger Family Camping Tent Lightweight for Camp Outdoor Sports Hiking Travel Beach Predictions for the Future ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent in Clay/Rust, by ALPS Mountaineering Products PreviewDescription Geertop Portable 4 Person 4 Seasons Backpacking Tent Double Layer Waterproof Larger Family Camping Tent Lightweight for Camp Outdoor Sports Hiking Travel Beach – Easy to Set Up Geertop Portable 4 Person 4 Seasons Backpacking Tent Double Layer Waterproof Larger Family Camping Tent Lightweight for Camp Outdoor Sports Hiking Travel Beach
How to Select The Best 4 Man Camping Tent
One thing you will want more than anything else is a large amount of available floor space. A tent that accommodates more than two people is required when going camping with more than two individuals. Consolidating everyone into a smaller tent is a recipe for disaster on a camping trip. That is something no one wants. It’s for this reason that the best 4-person tents will have enough space for you and at least three additional individuals. Inevitably, each tent you look at may end up being a different make or model.and it may even be from a different manufacturer altogether.
As a result, it is difficult to provide specifics on the space each company has to offer. However, you’ll need to hunt for anything in the vicinity of 7’6″ x 8’6″ to accommodate your needs. If you can find one with extra space, that’s an added bonus!
It makes no difference when you go camping since it is always a good time. Dealing with the size of your tent might be a challenging situation to be in. Having to carry anything that will cause back pain is something you do not want to have to do. Having saying that, a four-person tent will be far lighter than you expect. The average weight varies between 7lbs and 20lbs on a regular basis. However, the majority of them are in the middle, which makes them relatively easy to carry. In reality, it is possible to do the task with just one teenager.
They’re still quite young!
Let’s be honest about this: you are aware that tents must be fitted with appropriate safety elements. It goes without saying that they must be able to withstand any weather conditions you may face. The majority of the best 4-person camping tents are likely to be either water-resistant or waterproof in their construction. It goes without saying that the latter is the superior form. However, this does not imply that the former is undesirable. Both are excellent; it’s simply. Waterproofing provides far greater protection.
One of the other advantages that some tents may offer is UV protection, which is very useful on hot days when the sun is shining really brightly.
This is only the tip of the iceberg, since there are certain tents available that have even more defensive characteristics.
Review: Best 4-Person Camping Tents
ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent, Clay/Rust, on Sale
- With our Lynx Tent series, there’s no need to be frustrated by complicated assembly
- This free-standing, aluminum two-pole design is simple to assemble. The polyester tent fly is resistant against water and UV damage, and it has two vestibules for additional storage space. Eight zippers, storage compartments, a gear loft, stakes, guy ropes, and two doors are included in the price. The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is a best-seller on our site, and it’s a must-have for any mountaineering or camping trip. Base Dimensions: 7’6 x 8’6, Center Height: 52″, Total Weight: 8 lbs. 7 oz., Minimum Weight: 7 lbs. 15 oz., Color: Clay/Rust
- Dimensions: 7’6 x 8’6, Center Height: 52″
ALPS has made it a habit of appearing on a number of our outdoor lists, particularly those that are concerned with tents. Why? They just understand how to construct a fantastic tent at a price that is reasonable for everyone. Another example of this can be seen in their 4-person camping tent, which is widely considered to be one of the best available today. The most appealing feature of this ALPS alternative is that it almost eliminates the need for assembly difficulty. That is critical since many of these 4-person excursions involve families, which is why it is important to be prepared.
- The complete ALPS Lynx Tent line is comprised of simple, free-standing designs that are simple to operate.
- This is followed by eight zippers and eight handy man ropes.
- This tent also has an extraordinary amount of storage space, thanks to the fact that it has two vestibule spaces for extra space.
- A polyester tent fly is included, which helps to keep the tent water-resistant during inclement weather.
The fact that it is heavy may turn out to be the most appealing feature, at least for the person who is carrying it. This tent was constructed by ALPS and weighs no more than 8 pounds. That’s all there is to it. That’s what I call a lightweight tent! Visit Amazon to see more.
GEERTOP Portable 4 Person Tent
Geertop Portable 4 Person 4 Seasons Backpacking Tent Double Layer Waterproof Larger Family Camping Tent Lightweight for Camp Outdoor Sports Hiking Travel Beach – Easy to Set Up Geertop Portable 4 Person 4 Seasons Backpacking Tent Double Layer Waterproof Larger Family Camping Tent Lightweight for Camp Outdoor Sports Hiking Travel Beach
- The Geertop 4 season tent for camping is constructed of high-quality materials that are completely water-resistant and highly lightweight. The interior tent is made of 210T breathable polyester, the floor is made of 210D PU 5000 mm Oxford fabric, and the fly tarp is made of 210T PU 3000 mm anti-tear checkered polyester. Additionally, double stitched seams are precisely sealed to boost the waterproofing and keep the garment dry. LightweightBackpacking TentThis 4 person ultralight dome tent weighs just 9.1 lbs, making it the lightest backpacking tent on the market. Packing for backpacking vacation should be as small as possible. The robust metal poles, which are both water-resistant and durable, provide a great deal of stability. The double-zipper allows us to pull the zipper from the inside or outside, making it more convenient to go in and out
- BreathablePortable Camp TentTent for camping design with two entrances and two ventilation windows, allowing for increased comfort throughout the tent, while also ensuring easy breathing and a nice sleep
- When put up with trekking poles on a bright day, a vestibule may be used as an awning, providing shade and shelter. The outside door curtain may be pulled up and secured with a buckle, which makes it simple to use. All of your tiny belongings are kept safe in the interior storage compartment. 4 Person 4 Season Tent The camping tent for the whole family, with plenty of interior room for everyone, including parents, children, and friends to hang out and play card games, etc. Snow skirt edding design is excellent for all seasons, including spring, summer, and autumn. It can also be used on chilly winter days to provide a warmer camping, trekking, and climbing experience. The tent can be set up in a matter of minutes and is simple enough to be done by one person. You will only need to place two poles. Geertop dome tent is ideal for 4 people, family camping, hiking, backpacking, outdoor activities, and travel, among other things
- It is also available in several sizes.
Geertop is a name that is not widely known in the business at large. However, as a result of the presence of this tent, they are swiftly becoming a favorite among many. It is, in our opinion, one of the best-made tents available on the market. It appears that they have considered every possibility. The inner tendon is made of 210 T breathable polyester with a high-density fine nylon mesh in the center section. This helps to keep you from becoming overheated and can even help with bug problems if you have them.
- A 210T PU 3000mm anti-tear checkered polyester for the fly tarp is also included in the package.
- The tent is constructed of robust aluminum poles and has a twin zipper design that allows you to access the tent from both the inside and the outside of the tent.
- Because it has two ventilation windows as well as two entrances, it provides ample ventilation, which is beneficial for UV protection.
- As a result, this tent is suitable for use in all four seasons.
- Then it’s only a matter of setting everything up.
- This is without a doubt one of the greatest 4-person camping tents available on the market today.
Kelty Wireless Tent
Wireless Car Camping Tent – 2, 4, or 6 Persons – Kelty Wireless Car Camping Tent
- The Outback 4 is designed for vehicle camping and festivals, where comfort is paramount. It features a simple X tent shape that is straightforward to set up, as well as a large D-door for convenient entrance into your temporary dwelling. A double stake-point vestibule provides additional space for your belongings, allowing you to spread out and enjoy the most relaxing experience possible. When necessary, the connected guylines serve to stabilize the tent in windy circumstances, and when not in use, they can be tucked away into the guyline storage pockets incorporated into the tent. In addition, the tent has noiseless zipper pulls and comes with a flap that covers the whole tent. That’s what the Outback 4 is all about: maximum comfort at a reasonable price.
Kelty is an outdoor company that strives to make the lives of everyday outdoor enthusiasts a little bit simpler. We could not possible be more in love with them as a result of this. Since I’ve had my Grand Mesa 2 for several years, I’ve been impressed with how well it has held up to all of the abuse I’ve subjected it to over the years. They’ve done it again, creating another fantastic product. Another 4-person tent is included in this set of specifications. For our money, there are a few essential components to constructing a superb four-person camping tent.
- Kelty has done a good job in this category, as they have created a tent that is relatively capable of dealing with a wide range of challenges.
- It is also lightweight and portable.
- On top of that, they installed floor seams that were taped to keep the water out.
- This specific model has fast connect corners to make it easier to put up and take down the tent.
- The set-up is smooth, and they even color-coded everything to ensure that you won’t have any troubles with it later on.
The overall size is also excellent, with a total of 59 square feet of available floor space. Despite this, the breadth is around 7 feet, and the length is 8 feet. With a weight of just under 11 pounds, this tent will make traveling with it a breeze as well. Visit Amazon to see more.
Coleman Dome Tent for Camping
Sale The Coleman Dome Camping Tent | Sundome Dark Room Tent with Easy Set Up in Green, Black, and Teal is a four-person tent that comes in three colors: green, black, and teal.
- THE TECHNOLOGY OF THE DARK ROOM: Blocks 90 percent of sunlight (in comparison to a similar Coleman tent), allowing you to sleep in past daybreak. HEAT REDUCTION: Resting more comfortably any time of day is recommended. WEATHERPROOF: Welded corners and inverted seams prevent water from seeping inside
- A rainfly is provided to provide further weather protection. Winds of more than 35 miles per hour are no match for the sturdy frame. REMAIN IN CONNECTION: The E-Port makes it simple to introduce electrical power inside the building. PITCH CONVENTIONAL: Sets up in 10 minutes or less
By this point, the Coleman crew has mastered the art of pitching a tent. It is not difficult to see why they appear on so many “best of” lists as a result of this. They’ve done it again with their Dome Tent, which rates as one of the greatest 4-person camping tents we’ve ever seen, according to our research. Perhaps this has something to do with how well it can withstand different types of weather. First and foremost, it helps to keep water out of the tent by sealing the seams in an inverted manner and welding the corners together.
- The rainfly that comes with the package adds to the water-saving features.
- As a result, it has been certified to withstand winds of at least 35 mph and maybe much more.
- There will be very few tents that will do well there.
- This also includes the screen room, where you can relax throughout the day without having to worry about mosquitoes bothering you.
- According to Coleman, it effectively shuts out 90 percent of sunlight compared to conventional tents.
- Obviously, the amount of heat generated within the tent is lowered significantly as a result of this technique.
- Putting together the tent should take no more than 15 minutes or less in total.
- However, this is still not a significant amount of weight.
CORE Equipment 4 Person Instant Dome Tent
core equipment 4 person instant dome tent – 9′ x 7′, green, on saleCore Equipment Core 4 Person Instant Dome Tent – Green, on sale
- Setup takes less than 30 seconds
- It sleeps four people and accommodates a queen air mattress
- The center height is 54 inches
- It has Core H20 block technology and an adjustable ground vent. This tent has a gear loft with a lantern hook and compartments to keep belongings organized and off the tent’s floor. When not in use, the access point for the electrical cable can be completely closed. The package includes a rain fly, tent poles, and a carry bag.
When compared to the other outdoor companies we’ve seen, CORE is another in a long line of emerging businesses to enter the market. Despite the fact that their items are more recent, they understand exactly what has to be done with them. With this Instant Dome variant, they were able to create one of the greatest 4-person camping tents available on the market. When opting to build a four-person camping tent that can compete with the best brands on the market, you must distinguish yourself in some way.
- This avoids the tent from becoming a source of concern due to flooding.
- On top of that, both the windows and the door are resistant to the effects of rain.
- A lantern hook and compartments on the inside were also included by CORE to keep stuff organized and safe.
- A pop-up tent is similar in that it can actually be put together with little difficulty.
It takes around 30 seconds to put everything together, which is an incredible amount of time. Overall, this is one of the greatest four-person camping tents available anywhere in the world, and it is well worth the money you spend on it. Visit Amazon to see more.
Every single tent on this list is one that deserves to be investigated further. We are confident that you will like them all. This, on the other hand, is a list of the finest 4-person camping tents for individuals on a tight financial budget. As a result, we created our shopping list with a budget in mind. While there are some excellent tents available, we did not include some of them since we wanted the emphasis to be on the finest tents available at the lowest possible price. Having said that, you can’t really go wrong with any of the choices on the list.
- However, if you’re searching for one that might be fantastic for couples who don’t want to be disturbed, it’s evident that the Coleman option is the greatest choice because of its darkroom technology.
- It’s apparent that the alternatives from COREGEERTOP are the finest two possibilities for you in that department.
- This is something you’ll need if you’re planning on going camping at any time.
- We believe that one or both of these options would meet the demands of the majority of outdoor enthusiasts.
Best 4 Person Tent – Expert Review (2022)
When it comes to family or four-person tents, the Coleman Instant Tent 4 is my top pick. Its walls are virtually vertically stretched, and it lays a strong focus on the concept of space. Not to mention the fact that it is really reasonably priced. If you’re on a limited budget, the Coleman Sundome 4is a fantastic alternative to consider. However, it has less storage capacity than other, more costly tents and is constructed of a less durable material. It is also lighter and easier to put up than other, more expensive tents.
Best 4-Person Tents (Top Picks)
Check for the most recent pricing information. Check for the most recent pricing information. Check for the most recent pricing information. This post includes affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of the links on this page, we may receive a small commission. It will have no effect on your price, but it will help to keep our site running!
Top Tents For 4 People (Detailed Reviews)
For this post, we looked at a total of 24 four-person tents. The following are the top four-person tents that made our short list of the best on the market.
- Coleman Instant Tent 4 -Best Overall
- Eureka Jade Canyon
- REI Co-op Half Dome 4 Plus
- Londtren Pop-Up 4
- Alps Mountaineering Lynx -Best Premium
- MSR Papa Hubba NX
- Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent -Best Value
Read our in-depth buyer’s guide to 4-person tents for more information.
1. Best Overall 4-Person Instant Tent
4.5/5 Ratings on a scale of 1 to 10 The Coleman Instant Tent 4 is one of the best four-person tents available in its price range, according to the manufacturer. It is constructed of robust 150D polyester that is both durable and resistant to tearing. The thickness of this cloth is two times more than that of typical tent fabrics. One of the most notable characteristics of this tent is its exceptionally rapid and simple set-up, which takes less than 60 seconds to complete. With poles that are preassembled and already linked, it features a pop-up design that is comparable to that of opening an umbrella in terms of set-up.
One disadvantage of this tent is that it provides little shelter from the weather. In order to get the most out of this tent, you may want to avoid locations with significant rains or wind and stick to more mild temperatures.
- 6 pounds and 7 ounces 2 entrances
- Rain gutters that are built in
- Each of the four corners has a mesh pocket
- There are two big vestibules. Setup is made simple with a unified hub and pole system that includes color-coded clips. a compression sack that is extremely compact
- Xtreme Shield is a water-resistant coating. Rainfly
- Canvas made of 20-denier ripstop nylon
- 15-denier nylon mesh is used for this project.
What we like
- Excellent weather protection
- Extremely low weight
- Simple to assemble
- May be used for both car camping and hiking
- Extremely easy to use
2. Most Spacious and Comfortable Tent
4.5/5 Ratings on a scale of 1 to 10 In the event that room and comfort are your primary concerns, theEureka Jade Canyontent is the perfect solution for you! The tallest point is 7ft, which means you won’t have to stoop over when you’re in the building. The floor is 8ft by 8ft and can comfortably accommodate four individuals as well as all of their equipment. This tent has large windows and ventilation on the ceiling, which allows it to be exceptionally breathable despite its size. If it rains, on the other hand, the ventilation will be compromised since you will be forced to close the windows, which will reduce the quantity of airflow through the tent.
Compared to many other tents on the market, the Eureka Jade Canyon has a much greater volume than most of the others.
- There is a single huge D-shaped entryway with windows on every wall. 7-foot ceilings
- An 8-foot-by-8-foot floor space
- An electrical outlet
- Steel and fiberglass poles that are powder coated
- A full mesh roof Cabin-style living
- 2 mesh pockets and a gear loft are included.
What we like
- Reasonable in price
- Excellent ventilation
- Strong poles
- Ideal for families
- A good value for money.
What we dislike
- When it comes to setting up this tent, it might be pretty challenging. Because the rainfly is so little, it is not recommended for rainstorms.
3. Great Quality 4-Person Tent
5 out of 5 stars overall Manufacturer:REI The REI Co-op is a cooperative that provides goods and services to members. A excellent beginner tent for small parties and families, the Half Dome 4 Plus is a great choice. When it comes to this tent, REI placed a strong focus on spaciousness, using a pole configuration that allows the walls to be stretched virtually vertically. This tent is really spacious and well-ventilated, plus it has plenty of storage space. This is a hybrid tent that is perfect for camping and backpacking, albeit it is a little hefty for an extended hiking trip due to its weight of little under 8 pounds.
- Storage compartments in the corners and along the ceiling
- 18 total storage pockets
- There are two doorways and two vestibules, and the walls reach almost vertically. 4 feet in height on the interior
- Floor space is 58.7 square feet. Tent with a hybrid design
- 4 ventilation vents
- 7 pounds, 10 ounces in weight.
What we like
- Excellent quality
- Incredible storage
- Excellent fly and vestibule
What we dislike
- The tent’s extreme poles are a touch thin
- The tent is a tad on the expensive side.
4. Best Quality 4 Person Tent
4 out of 5 stars overall TheAlps Mountaineering Lynxtent is a lightweight, sturdy tent that is renowned for providing excellent weather protection and being simple to put up. Designed for camping in tougher settings with variable weather, this tent is a great choice. The tent material is 75D polyester with an unique waterproof coating that raises the waterproof rating to 1500mm, allowing it to be used in wet conditions. The floor is coated with the same material as the walls and has a waterproof rating of 2000mm.
After everything is said and done, if you are intending to go camping in an area that is renowned for having a harsher environment, the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx is an excellent option to consider.
- Two doors and two vestibules made of water-resistant polyester
- The poles are made of a long-lasting fiberglass composite. 7.6 × 8.6 feet
- Factory sealed seams
- Zipper mesh windows
- Factory sealed seams a set of stakes and guy lines are supplied
- Pockets for storing things
- A gear loft
What we like
- Extremely waterproof
- Simple to put up
- Reasonable pricing
What we dislike
- Perhaps a tarp should be placed beneath the tent
- Perhaps the plastic windows should be of higher quality
- Perhaps the tent should be larger.
5. Easy Set Up Tent for 4
4.5 out of 5 stars overall Despite the fact that theLondtren Pop-Up 4 is not quite as wonderful as theREI Half Dome, it is still an excellent option. If you are seeking to move to a more intermediate tent, this is a fantastic option to consider because the design is straightforward and will be recognizable to most seasoned campers. When compared to some of the less expensive tents, the Londtren Pop-Up 4 is of excellent quality. Likewise, the Londtren Pop-Up 4 tent, like the REI Half Dome, makes use of a vertical pole system to increase the amount of space available within the tent’s interior.
With a weight of almost 10 pounds, it is a little heavy, but the internal height is an amazing 8ft 4in, allowing you to stand up straight within.
- Asymmetrical pole design
- Two big doors and a spacious vestibule
- 10.6 pounds
- 8 ft 4 in height
- Vertical pole design
- Full coverage rainfly with DAC pole design
- Door pockets
What we like
- Classic, straightforward design
- Straightforward assembly
- Ample space
- Breathable – ideal for summer camping
- Somewhat weather resistant
What we dislike
- Due to the fact that the poles must be threaded through sleeves, this may add a few minutes to your setup time. It would be nice to have extra storage space.
6. Best Waterproof Tent for 4
4 out of 5 stars overall The MSR Papa Hubba NXbackpacking tent is one of the most popular backpacking tents available on the market today. The versatility of this tent makes it ideal for families that like both car camping and hiking. It can be used for either activity. With a weight of only 6 pounds 7 ounces, this tent is incredibly light and will be a terrific complement to your family’s wilderness trips. It also provides excellent protection against the weather, and you can be confident that it will stay rock solid even in the face of strong winds and rain.
You should consider the MSR Papa Hubba NX hiking tent if you have a lot of extra cash to spend and are searching for a wonderful backpacking tent for the whole family.
As a result, if weight is more essential to you than internal area, this is the tent to choose.
- There is a single huge D-shaped entryway with windows on every wall. the height is 7 feet and the floor area is 64 square feet. There is an electrical port
- A full mesh canopy
- Powder coated steel and fiberglass poles
- Cabin-style living
- Gear loft with 2 mesh compartments
- Gear loft
What we like
- Excellent ventilation
- Sturdy poles
- Good value
- Ideal for families
What we dislike
4 out of 5 stars overall Coleman’s Sundome 4tent is, without a doubt, the greatest tent available for less than $100. Because of the double-thick polyester used in the construction of the tent’s body, it provides excellent ventilation, with mesh screening over the door and windows, as well as a ground vent in the rear. The Coleman Sundome is lightweight and relatively simple to erect; from start to finish, it should take no more than 10 minutes to complete the process. On the top, there are continuous pole sleeves that make it easier to set up.
There is a big rainfly and an awning over the entryway of the Coleman Sundome, which is included.
The popularity of this tent is most likely due to the low price, rather than the amenities that it offers.
If you are wanting to camp on a tight budget, this tent is an excellent choice.
- 1 door and 2 windows
- 150D polyester fabric
- 1 door and 2 windows Using mesh screens to cover all of the apertures
- Inside compartment with mesh
- Peak height of 4 ft 11″
- Interior dimensions of 8 x 7 ft. Dark Room technology
- A pop-up tent
- Seams that are welded together
What we like
- Interior with plenty of space
- Large windows
- Extremely quick and simple set up
- Excellent value for money
- There is no need for a rainfly.
What we dislike
- There are no vestibules in this building. There is only one door and only a few storage compartments.
It is recommended that a suitable tent for four people have the following dimensions:
- Trail Weight: 10-13 pounds (4-6 kg), depending on size. Packing Dimensions: about 8 x 25 inches (20 x 65 cm)
- Floor Dimensions: about 8 × 7 feet (2.5 m x 2 m)
- Peak height: about 44 to 84 inches
When it comes to 4-person tents, they should be able to accommodate 4 persons comfortably while also providing a little additional space for baggage, equipment, and any other stuff you may have taken along for the trip. If you’re only using a 4-person tent for you and a friend or partner, you should be able to put a queen-sized inflatable mattress inside of it.
How to Choose Best 4 Person Tent?
The fact that there are so many different things to look for when purchasing a tent might make the process a little complex and intimidating.
Listed below are the most crucial considerations to make when looking for the finest 4-person tent for your style of outdoor adventure.
A tent for four people must be spacious. When attempting to obtain a good night’s sleep, it is important to avoid feeling cramped. The majority of four-person tents can easily accommodate a queen-size bed or bigger, which should be plenty for four people. If your tent is on the smaller side, you’ll want it to include a vestibule – a place where you can store your additional goods if your tent is on the smaller side. It is also crucial to consider the peak height of your tent. In fact, some of the tents on our list have a peak height that is so high that you can stand up straight within them.
Tents that can endure stronger winds and rain tend to be a little more costly than other types. In the event that you are not planning on camping in more extreme conditions, it is best not to squander your money on a tent that is equipped with weather-resistant characteristics. In contrast, if you want to camp all year long, regardless of the weather, make sure you get a tent with sealed seams, water-resistant material, and a rainfly.
The weight of your tent is determined by the purpose for which you intend to use it. If you’re backpacking, you’ll want a tent that is as light as possible to make your journey easier. However, if you are vehicle camping, the weight of your tent will not be an issue because you will not be physically transporting it from one location to another.
Whether you’re walking or driving, you’ll want your tent to be up and running as soon as possible after a hard day of traveling. You don’t want to waste time attempting to figure out where everything belongs. As an alternative, seek for a tent that can be assembled fast and disassembled just as quickly.
Number of Doors
Idealistically, you’ll want two doors, because it’s more convenient. Tents with only one door are more common among those on a tighter budget. You won’t be unable to go in and out of the tent because of this, but you may have a more difficult time doing so when others are asleep.
10 Best 4 Person Tents In 2022
- Always practice erecting your tent at home before going on a camping trip, and make sure you have assistance from someone who will be accompanying you on the trip. In other words, they will be as knowledgeable as you are, which will expedite the process of getting everything up and running. There is no telling when you’ll need to get your tent up in the shortest amount of time in bad weather
- If you’re traveling in a group and pitching a tent of this size along the way, try to divide the tent, poles, stakes, fly sheet, and inner tent between all members of your team. This implies that everyone should try to distribute the weight of the tent as evenly as possible
- Keep in mind that lighter tents provide for easier walking but may not necessarily provide the best weather protection
- Follow weather forecasts in the days preceding up to your journey to guarantee that your tent will be up to the task if you encounter terrible weather.
How To Choose a 4 Person Tent – Buying Guide
While it may seem clear when talking about 4-person tents, not all manufacturers have the same understanding of how huge individuals are, which might lead to confusion. These tents are typically designed to accommodate four people of average height (under 6ft tall), with no additional space for camping goods. If you are taller than average or have a lot of stuff, make sure to double-check the tent measurements before placing your purchase. Reviews that are related: Tent for six peopleTent for ten people
The total weight is determined by the materials used in the construction of the body and poles. In most cases, the weight of a 4-person tent is between 5 and 15 pounds, however this amount might vary greatly. Those looking for hiking or backpacking tents should choose an ultralight 4-person tent such as the Mountainsmith Genesee, which is designed to be as small as possible.
On the other hand, if you’re going vehicle camping or can drive directly to the pitch, the weight won’t be a big factor. Reviews that are related: Tent for BackpackingTruck Tent
Depending on your tastes as a camper, 4-person camp tents provide a plethora of options when it comes to the types of weather conditions in which they may be used. The majority of the types we’ve reviewed are three-season tents, which means they’re best suited for mild to moderately cold weather. If, on the other hand, you like winter camping, The North Face Bastion is a real 4-season tent that will keep you warm even in temperatures as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Review of a related product: Tent for all four seasons
The weather protection provided by your new camping tent should be in addition to providing you with a comfortable location to sleep. The design, form, and materials utilized for the poles and canopy all play a role in determining this. A fabric’s hydrostatic head rating, which indicates how waterproof it is, is used by producers to indicate how water-resistant it is (higher value means better protection). Look for a tent that has a waterproof rating of at least 1,000mm and, preferably, a layer of PU coating on the outside.
The structure should be flexible enough to endure strong gusts of wind while yet being sturdy enough to stand on its own accord.
Related Review:Waterproof Tent
When it comes to picking tent materials, manufacturers strive to strike a balance between strength and weight. In order to meet this requirement, poles are often constructed of fiberglass or aluminum. Fiberglass is less expensive and more flexible than aluminum, which is lighter, less flexible, and more expensive than fiberglass. Canvas, nylon, and polyester are the most often used materials for the body. Canvas is robust and provides excellent protection, but it is also fairly heavy. It is not recommended for use in the home.
Review of a related product: Tent made of canvas
Every model in our 4-person tent evaluations is either a dome or a cabin, depending on the shape you are looking for. The dome design is the most wind and water resistant, yet the cabin type is the most comfortable when traveling away from the comforts of home. Cabin Tents, which is related, is reviewed here. Beyond the design, you should pay close attention to the doors and windows, which should be spacious and ideally equipped with mesh screens for bug protection. If you have more than one door, it is usually beneficial to be able to enter and exit without bothering anybody else.
One of the most beneficial characteristics is the presence of mesh pockets on the inside walls of the room. To be quite honest, they are so convenient that they should be included in all top-rated 4-person camping tents.
Additionally, certain versions are equipped with gear lofts, which allow you to store equipment off the floor above the bed. Aside from these additional storage options, other handy features include hanging hooks for lanterns, door vestibules for more room, and E-ports for electrical connection.
There have been 49 reviews, with an average rating of 4.2 stars. Whether you’re a family vehicle camper, an overlander, or anywhere in between, pull up a chair because your next nylon apartment quest begins right here. This year’s crop of vehicle camping tents demonstrates that there is a suitable home away from home for everyone who want to head out into the great outdoors. The short version is as follows: The fact that you’re vehicle camping means that you don’t have to be concerned about the volume or weight of your stuff.
In addition, such shelters are frequently less complicated to set up than their hiking counterparts, and they are also less expensive.
We put the best tents available at REI through their paces and condensed all of the feedback into the information you’ll find in this guide.
Check out the findings of our round-robin below for some quick recommendations, or continue reading for more in-depth assessments.
- Best All-Around Camping Tent: REI Co-op Kingdom 6
- Best Camping Tent for Small Groups: Big Agnes Dog House 4
- Best Camping Tent for People Who Want Just One: Exped Outer Space II
- Best Cartop Tent: Thule Tepui Explorer Ayer 2
- Best Cartop Tent: Thule Tepui Explorer A
Other Top Performers
- REI Co-op Grand Hut 4
- Marmot Limestone 4P
- Kelty Discovery Dome 4
- REI Co-op Grand Hut 4
- REI Co-op Grand Hut
REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent
The best all-around camping tent is available from REI Co-op. Winner of the Editors’ Choice Award received $298.93 from REI Co-op.
- Number of doors:2
- Floor area:83.3 sq. ft.
- Vestibule area:29 sq. ft.
- Peak height:75 in. Score:95 Weight when packaged: 21 lbs. 6 oz.
Results of the testing: One tester termed this opulent tent his “party palace,” and we couldn’t agree with him more. Not only is the 75-inch peak height one of the highest in our survey, but this monster provides well over 100 square feet of space between the floor area and vestibule, which is larger than some brick-and-mortar bedrooms. In order to do this, theREI Co-opKingdom 6 is equipped with a divider, allowing campers to divide the rectangular floor layout into two separate chambers, each with its own entrance.
- Upon entering, you will find a vestibule of 29 square feet on the front side, where you may keep boots, backpacks, and damp items.
- Alternatively, you may raise the doors up with a couple of tarp poles and guylines to create a front porch with an awning.
- “It’s similar to our gear garage,” one tester explains.
- On rainy days, we might as well eat under the gazebo.” When properly guyed out, the Kingdom 6 functioned admirably for us in heavy rain and wind, and testers reported no leaks, even when the tent was placed on the lawn when the sprinklers turned off (all in the name of good testing).
- You should choose a tent with a higher aerodynamic profile if you want to camp on exposed territory or in adverse weather conditions.
- The Kingdom 6 may be compressed into a package the size of a child.
- Furthermore, with a tent this large, you will very certainly have assistance similar to that of a barn rising.
Click here to purchase. The bottom line is this: Take advantage of the largest amount of living space available in the Kingdom 6, which offers two rooms that can comfortably accommodate families and individuals wishing to stretch out.
- Colorado, South Dakota, Utah, and Washington are among the states that have been tested. The best testing story: “Google Maps is the key to successful desert vehicle camping,” one tester (who, yes, is a millennial) comments of his experience. When we drove nearly directly to the edge of a 1,000-foot-deep canyon and set up our camp with a view over the rim, we recognized how important our preparation had been.”
Results of the experiment: Sometimes, simpler is better. The Big Agnes Dog House 4 is an example of a no-frills shelter that accomplishes everything you want it to do and nothing you don’t. Setup is simple and self-explanatory, even for first-time campers, thanks to a logical pole structure and color-coded webbing and buckles. True story: Our tester was able to build the Dog House 4 in a matter of minutes on his first attempt (despite the fact that he didn’t follow the directions, as he points out).
- The partial fly (which protrudes from the top of the tent like a bucket hat) is constantly connected, thus there is no room for error in the design.
- The Dog House 4 has a surprising amount of space inside.
- A big D-door, an adjacent huge window, and two vents in the peak offer enough airflow and make arriving and exiting from the room simple.
- And, at $250, it’s one of the most affordable of the tents we tested.
- The bottom line is that the Dog House 4 is a complete package that includes everything you need and nothing you don’t.
- California, New York, and Washington are among the states that have participated in the testing. The best testing story: During the spring 2020 pandemic, one tester’s Dog House 4 has been transformed into his family’s shelter-in-place backyard weekend retreat. As he points out, “the water resistance to the automated sprinklers was above normal.”
Exped Outer Space II Tent
The best tent for people who just want one is available for $256.93 at REI Co-op.
- A score of 91 was achieved
- The floor space was 30 square feet, and the vestibule area was 26.9 square feet for the bigger and 7.5 square feet for the smaller
- Peak height is 59 inches. Doors: 2
- Weight in package: 6 lbs 5 oz
- Number of doors:
Testing revealed that life is already difficult enough without needing to purchase specialized tents for car camping and trekking. Make your life easier with the ExpedOuter Space II, a brand-new shelter that can comfortably do both functions. And you’ll feel quite comfortable: A vestibule large enough to accommodate two chairs and a cooler is included with this tent. It makes sense: we go camping in order to spend time outside rather than indoors. The Outer Space II’s 27-square-foot vestibule, which is larger than many hiking tents on its own, has its own pole framework that can be staked down conventionally, but campers may roll back the rainfly from the sides to create a covered patio for dining or lounging in the shade (pictured).
The tent body and fly were separated when a washout appeared imminent, resulting in an enclosed chamber large enough to accommodate a few of damp neighbors from the next campground over.
When lying down, two campers have plenty of shoulder room, as well as enough space to sit up comfortably.
The tent weighs approximately 3 pounds per person when backpacking, and because it is constructed with an exterior pole setup, you cannot remove the fly in good weather—but these are minor trade-offs for the most versatile tent we found in our testing process.
Click here to purchase. The bottom line is this: Make the most of inclement weather with the Outer Space II, which features a massive, tent-sized vestibule and is just light enough to serve as a backpacking shelter in addition to its primary function as a tent.
- The number of nights out is 12
- The testing state is Colorado
- What one tester considers to be the best testing story: “It was warm enough when camping up in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, that I was able to sleep with both vestibules peeled back,” he adds. Because of this, I was able to catch a glimpse of the enormous bull moose wandering past camp early one morning.”
The results of the test were as follows: A roof-top tent is a comfortable and practical home away from home that sits somewhere in the middle of vehicle camping and van lifestyle. The pop-up-style shelter from Thulenests is housed in a spacious, zippered compartment that attaches to your vehicle racks; to use it, simply remove the cover, extend the ladder, and flip open the clamshell floor; to store it, simply remove the cover and place it in a dry place. The learning curve is small, and one tester claims to have reduced her setup time to 30 seconds or less.
- As an alternative to removing it every weekend, we propose installing it once and leaving it there throughout the camping season.
- She could arrive at camp late and just snap open her Ayer 2.
- In the Ayer 2, there is enough space for two individuals to sit upright and play cards comfortably (with a 70-pound husky dozing on the other end), or for three persons to sleep side by side in a comfortable position.
- The Ayer 2 comes equipped with a 2.5-inch-thick foam mattress, which is a significant improvement over the mattresses that college students are used to sleeping on.
- Click here to purchase.
- California, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah are the testing states. There are 26 nights out in all. A tester shares his or her favorite testing story: “While offroading behind Red Rocks National Conservation Area in Nevada, we weren’t sure if we were going to find a manageable campsite, but when we stumbled into an opening bordered by rocky cliffs and desert cacti, we knew it was going to be one of the best campsites of the trip,” one of our testers recalls.
Other Top Performers
TheREI Co-test op’s results have been released. This portable cabin for a small group offers the luxury and space of theKingdom 6 while maintaining the simplicity and affordability of theDog House 4, thus bridging the gap between the two. Campers taller than 6 feet should be able to stand up and walk around without bumping into sloping walls because of the geometry of the Grand Hut 4. Because the Grand Hut 4 is more cube-like than pyramidal, the entire floor plan is usable, and campers taller than 6 feet should be able to stand up and walk around without bumping into sloping walls.
In the words of one tester, “we moved our pads and sleeping bags to form a living room to one side, then set up the iPad to the other side for an A+ movie-watching arrangement.” Because the rainfly stretches all the way to the ground, according to the same tester, there was no leaking in either vestibule.
- Click here to purchase.
- Results of the tests: Despite the rain, our group of four testers remained dry and comfortable in the Limestone 4P while camping in New York’s Coyle Hill State Forest.
- Even when our crew brought five additional friends over for a game of cards, everyone was able to sit comfortably in a circle with plenty of space in the centre to play.
- Another, smaller door at the back allows you to enter and depart without disturbing your companion without any difficulty.
- The results of the test were as follows: It is not necessary to spend a lot of money to sleep under the stars.
- Its basic three-pole frame is obvious and simple to learn, especially for those of us who are new to camping.
Also included are an expansive D-shaped door, inside organizing pockets, and interior loops for tying a light or gear loft to the dome. Click here to purchase. All Car-Camping Tents may be found here.
Car-camping tents are often larger, more roomy, and more feature-rich than backpacking tents, but they are also significantly heavier than backpacking tents. Obviously, you’d have a problem if you had to transport your entire setup everytime you went, but that’s the beauty of vehicle camping. Weighing less is not a problem when driving to your camping destination. The tents recommended in this list are spacious, well-equipped, and reasonably priced. Although they are not the most portable, there are several crossover tents (such as the Exped Outer Space II) that are light enough to carry on a backpacking trip while being exceptionally comfortable in a front-country campsite environment.
Every tent model has a number in its name that, roughly speaking, corresponds to the number of people who can fit inside, lying down shoulder to shoulder, in the tent. The industry does not have a set guideline for how much space each person should have, so think of it as a maximum; four people can sleep well in a four-person tent, but you’ll be more comfortable in a six-person shelter. Before purchasing a tent, be sure to check over the specifications. The floor area may assist you in determining where the sleeping pads should be placed in order to optimize space, and the peak height can inform you of how much headroom you’ll have in your sleeping area.
Vestibules and Doors
Although the room within the main body of the tent is important, it’s not the only place that matters. If you’re dealing with inclement weather or otherwise spending a lot of time inside your tent, you’ll want to get as much items out of it as possible. Vestibules play an important role in this. These indoor-outdoor areas on the opposite side of the entrance are covered and accessible from the interior of the tent, but they do not take up any more floor space in the tent. This is a fantastic place to keep extra equipment and wet clothing.
Everyone can enter and depart without tripping over one another or getting in the line of anybody else’s progress.
It’s also important thinking about elements like organization, ventilation, and even color when designing a space. Extra features tend to raise the price of a shelter, but they might be well worth it in the long run. Interior pockets, gear lofts, and gear loops allow you to keep your sundries off the floor and out of the way, allowing you to save floor room for sleeping and sleeping gear storage. Having the option of designating one pocket for each sleeper is convenient, but it is not required.
If you have numerous people sleeping in a tent, or if you are camping in rain or high humidity, you may want to be able to open the tent vents to promote ventilation and reduce condensation to keep the tent from becoming too hot.
When it’s dreary and murky outside, a brightly colored tent may help to make the inside of the tent feel more cozy and enjoyable. Additionally, it is more apparent from a distance. A tent with a neutral color scheme, on the other hand, will fit in better with its surroundings.
The REI Outdoor Store dispatched 22 members (along with their friends, families, and pets) from around the country to vehicle campsites and areas of wide-open public land in the summer and fall of 2019 to review the best shelters available on the REI website. Despite the burning heat, torrential rain, and gale-force winds, they were able to thoroughly inspect everything from leaks to privacy windows. At the end of the day, each tester evaluated each shelter based on its spaciousness, weather protection, durability, features, cost, and utility.
TheREI Co-op Kingdom 6, Big Agnes Dog House 4, Exped Outer Space II, and Thule Tepui Explorer Ayer 2 all performed exceptionally well in most categories; theREI Co-op Grand Hut 4, Marmot Limestone 4P, and Kelty Discovery Dome 4all performed exceptionally well in at least one—but not all—categories.
Article written by Ryan Wichelns about how to choose a camping tent. Ryan works as a freelance journalist and mountaineer in his spare time. His favorite climbs are the strange, unattractive snow- and ice-covered mounds in the middle of nowhere that take a weeklong scree-choked struggle just to get close enough to perhaps climb. Don’t bother asking him why. Since 2017, I’ve been a member of REI.